Friday, October 24, 2008

P90X - Day 11 - Or Until I Hurt Myself...

10/23/2008

Day 11

Denied. Just when I was feeling like I was already seeing improvement, my two distant relatives Yoga and Pain arrive and ruin the day.

Now, I've already mentioned how the word 'Yoga' doesn't really belong in the name of what this crazy stretching and agony is. Well, did you ever know anyone that hurt themselves doing Yoga?!?! How about hurting themselves twice in completely different areas in the same Yoga session? Yeah, I thought not.

So there it was. Yoga X. And it is one bad dude. It's actually the thing I'm most afraid of now.

You've heard of people standing on their hands before, I'm sure. Now, imaging squatting on your hands, and then kneeling on your elbows at the same time. Yes, that is an accurate description of a real Yoga X treat called "Crane". I think it's not Crane the bird, but rather a crane and wrecking ball. If you're not careful, you'll be able to compare your head hitting the floor as you lose your balance to a wrecking ball smashing down your favorite ancient landmark or wonder of the world.

Yeah, well, that's not how I got hurt. When I gave my shoulder a nice hurting I was tring just to bring my hands together and lock my fingers. Of course, I was standing in some incredibly awkward lunge with a held in place 90 degree left leg leading, while I was leaning forward and twisting to the right and trying to reach under my left thigh to grab my right hand that's behind my back. Yes, I'm serious. I'm sure you can imagine that that may be uh, ... uncomfortable. You're right. There was a pop and a stretch followed by some significant pain. Somehow, trying to work it out, things seemed to slip back into place or something and I was not disabled longer than a few minutes. Now there's only minimal soreness and a clicking sound as I rotate it that I didn't remember having before. Turns out my other arm clicks too. Hmmm....

Then I hurt my lower back on the left side. What was I doing? I think I was stretching my leg. Maybe a little too much gusto. Ouch. Curiously, it, like my shoulder, seemed to heal itself after the significant pain subsided after a few minutes. I never completely stopped the routines - my friend would have though I was a wuss.

All said and done - both my friend and I had the same overall summary of Yoga X today. Worse than last time. And we're doing this for 79 more days...

No comments: